[ Welcome |
What's New |
About Kevin Wood |
Woody's interests |
Woody has numerous interests. Actually he is quite the renaissance man. Woody (we are still talking about Kevin B. Wood here. If you are thinking about another Woody...say for instance Woody Allen, Woody Wood Pecker or Woody Boyd, you are in the wrong place.)
has a number of other nicknames. The ones we can publicly mention here are:
- Woody - This one should not be a surprise
- The Woodhead - Given to him while a cadet at West Point.
- Herr Waldkopf - Given to him by a German speaking clasmate at West Point.
- Woolybug - Given to him be an amorous bug collector
- Woodykins - Given to him by a young female friend
- Woodaia - (pronounced with a strong Japanese accent) Given to him by a fellow Sushi eating, Network Engineer
Some of Woody's interests/outside activities include:
- WebMaster: Woody applies some of his limited time serving the local Alumni Association, the West Point Society of Tallahassee (WPST), maintaining their web site at www.aogusma.org/soc/tallahassee
- Computers: Like you couldn't figure that one out. I am a Certified Network Administrator, Cisco Certified Network Admin, and a Microsoft Certified System Engineer. As any self respecting computer geek, I have a home network. (100 MB Ethernet, with a 10 MB Wireless hub/subnet, several servers, four routers and two switches) Way Cool.
- Church: Actually more than an interest I guess (unless you are interested in the afterlife...). Anyway, I am LDS. I attend the Tallahassee 4th Ward in Tallahassee, FL. Ask, and I'll tell you what I believe and why (and probably tell you even if you do not ask.)
- More Computers: Woody consults for
Koala Computers, Inc. as a programmer/analyst, troubleshooter, and systems integrator
- Languages: I speak, read and write Spanish, Russian, and German. If you can read this, my English is passable as well. I also studied Latin. Not many people speak Latin anymore, but I have found it useful in figuring out what some words mean.
- Music: I used to play the violin. I still enjoy many types of music. My favorites would have to be classical music and Rock.
- Martial Arts: I have studied Judo and Karate. I have attained the rank of NiKyu in Judo. I still practice when I can.
- Science Fiction: I love to read. Science Fiction is a favorite subject of mine. I will not attempt to define the difference here between science fiction and fantasy. I enjoy StarTrek. Some Authors I particularly enjoy are Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide, Piers Anthony, Incarnations and Xanth series, Terry Pratchett Diskworld, and of course Isaac Asimov, what didn't he write about?
- Military History. After a stint in the military I wouldn't be interested in military history? Actually, I enjoy history and international relations as well. I tend to lean more towards the military stuff.
- SCUBA Diving:
- Theater - No I don't act, I only attend. Although some people claim I act childishly, or that I only act like a programmer.
- Cooking - I can cook, and have had recipes published in cookbooks. RECIPES
- I am NOT married. With all my interests and being a borderline work-aholic (OK so I crossed that border years ago). I do not have time to waste on a life.
There are a lot of people I should thank for the way I turned out. Others might not be so grateful, so if you ask, I will take you off the list:
- My Mom, Marilynn M. Wood - For obvious reasons
- Vernon Verona Sherrill Central School - I do not have time or room to mention all the wonderful teachers I had while a student at VVS. I received a great education while there.
- The Military - Why should I thank them??? I was able to attend West Point (1 and 3 above helped me get in.) I earned my graduate degree while in the Military. I was fortunate to have served with many very good officers. (America, you can sleep safely tonight knowing your defense rests in their hands.) I learned a lot about myself and how to lead. I learned many useful skills.